Homeowner claims smart meter started fire

A woman is blaming a smart meter for fire over the summer that ruined her home, according to a KHOU 11 story.

Jaclynn Harwood said her home was destroyed after the smart meter malfunctioned and caused a fire at her southwest Houston home, the television station reported.

Harwood showed a document that appeared to be from the Houston Fire Department that stated “an unspecified electrical malfunction in the electrical meter” caused the fire.

Centerpoint Energy, which has installed more than 2 million meters, said the meter was working fine prior to the fire, and the company plans to investigation the incident.