ALGIERS, Algeria (AP) — The head of Algeria’s state-owned energy company, Sonatrach, says the gas complex that came under terrorist attack last month will partially resume work in the next week.
Abdelhamid Zerguine said one of the plant’s three gas units should resume production before Feb. 24 at 9 million cubic meters of gas a year — about a third of the plant’s capacity.
Feb. 24 is anniversary of Algeria’s 1971 nationalization of its oil industry.
President Abdelaziz Bouteflika also broke his silence Monday about the Jan. 16 attack, which left dozens of civilian hostages dead — most of them foreigners.
In a statement read out by an adviser, Bouteflika congratulated the army for ending the four-day standoff with militants and said they were worthy heirs to those who fought for independence from France.
Read ongoing coverage of the attack on the Algeria natural gas facility:
BP names 4th staff member killed in Algeria siege (Feb. 12)
BP identifies workers killed in Algeria attack (Jan. 28)
Algeria attack no outlier as oil targeted three times a week (Jan. 23)
Daughter remembers kindness of dad who died in Algeria attack (Jan. 22)
Second Houston-area man confirmed dead in Algeria (Jan. 21)
Overseas dangers don’t deter oil workers (Jan. 21)
Algeria hostage crisis ends; Katy man killed (Jan. 20)
Hostage crisis hikes security worries in key oil region (Jan. 18)
Anadarko ‘closely monitoring’ its Algeria operations (Jan. 17)