BP producing oil from new facilities at North Sea field

British oil giant BP has started production at new facilities in the southern part of the Norwegian area of the North Sea.

The London-based company said Monday that production from the new facilities at the Valhall field, which started over the weekend, is expected to build up to around 65,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day in the second half of this year.

Chief Executive Bob Dudley said BP’s expansion at Valhall gives the site the capacity to handle 120,000 barrels of oil and 143 million cubic feet of gas per day.

Read more: BP blasted by Norway’s regulator over offshore fire

“The Valhall Re-Development Project is another significant milestone for BP and is an important investment in our North Sea portfolio,” Dudley said in a written statement. “It is one of BP’s most complex field expansion developments and gives Valhall a further 40-year design life.”

The redevelopment includes a new platform, bridges and walkways, and a power-from-shore system. Including the new platform, the Valhall field complex now has six separate manned platforms, BP said.

The field was discovered in 1975 and first production from the Valhall field came in 1982. The redevelopment is expected to extend production from the field to 2050, BP said.

BP is the operator of the field. It holds a 35.9 percent stake. Hess Norge owns the remaining 64.1 percent.

About The Author

Veteran newsman currently covering energy for The Houston Chronicle. Spent 12 years at The Associated Press covering energy, airlines, general business news, legal affairs, politics and state and federal government issues. Won or shared numerous awards and award nominations for coverage of the Gulf oil spill, Delta Air Lines, the Atlanta courthouse shootings and the murders of two Dartmouth College professors. Prior to AP, worked at two daily newspapers in the Boston area.